Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Salta


I Liked Salta! It is a 2hr flight from Buenos Aires...but a world apart!

It is located in the North Eastern part of Argentina. It is a province rich in Culture, Archeology and Nature. The locals, called Saltenios, are simple, hard working people, proud of their heritage and passionate about their history. It was not uncommon for me to come across a 3 or 4th generation Saltenio. My source of information,as in any city, the taxi driver :)

The city of Salta was founded in 1582. It is located in the Valle de Lerma. named after it's founder Don Hernando de Lerma. It's Spanish architecture separates them from all other Argentine Provinces. The colonial feel of the city continues to this day.

Iglesia(church) de San Francisco was completed in 1625 and in 1941 was declared a Historical Monument. I tried to go inside...but couldn't...it was "siesta" time...and yes! even the church doors close! There are many museums but I didnt get the chance to go..had it planned for Sunday..but then I caught a cold!

I did go to a Folklore dinner Show on my first night in town...Sat next to a couple from Vancouver, Canada. He was brave...he not only got up to dance when they asked for audience volunteers but also tried a stew dish made of LLAMA!!! ugh...I didn't know they ate Llama...
I could of had a Llama empanada..but I passed! Turns out that Llama is a meat with low cholesterol...and a strong flavor..so it has to be cooked in some sort of stew...for a long period of time...using wine as a tenderizer and then it's good to go...maybe next time...

Here are some pictures...

do http://picasaweb.google.com/argentineyankee/SALTA#slideshow/5397279165791922354

more coming....Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment