Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Out of Order


My Buenos Aires Pad


To know and love me :) ... is to know...that I'm not the most organized person, unlike my sister who loves to "excel" everything :) but, I like to think that I KNOW where everything is.
...so you won't be surprised that I'm just now getting around to writing and adding pictures of my beautiful Buenos Aires "departamento".

I found it on one of my many "google searches" and fell in love with it right then and there.
Luckily for me it was available. It is located in the City area called PALERMO, the garden district of Buenos Aires. It is next to the Botanical Gardens and the Zoo.The building is right across a private Jewish School, so security on the block is good. I'm on the 9th floor, out of 14 and we only have 14 apartments, one per floor. By BA standards it is a small building. It's customary that for EACH highrise building (regardless of size) to have at least one person in charge. This person is called an "encargado", caretaker. They usually get their own apartment in the building and are "on call" monday-friday. The one in my building is called Martin. Pretty sweet job I think...
Not sure what he does other than picks up the trash from each floor and stands by the door between 17:00-20:00...to great us & let us in..so we don't bother with the keys...but it's an extra level of security I guess...I did use his services yesterday since I was home sick...(keep it clean!)

I had a delivery of "sandwiches of miga" (little-look-a-like british tea sandwiches) ..and I was too sick/lazy to go downstairs to let them in..so I called Martin and told him to let them in for me...haha..Remember the show RHODA?....Martin is my CARL...

Life in BA is hectic, kinda luck New York. Everybody has a cell phone coming out of their ear, but they still enjoy the simple things in life...like lingering for hours drinking ONE itsy bitsy cup of espresso (this might also have to do with the ecomomy)...while chatting and smoking. Phillip Morris is still going strong in third World countries. :(
They still do NOT eat dinner until AFTER 9pm...restaurants barely open by 20:00 (8pm)...and then it is only for a handful of "gringos/as"...like me....:) Things don't start hopping until 22:00 hrs...and that is even during the work week...

ah...don't worry I won't get more Diva than that..

So back to my apartment...it is 592sq ft...TOTAL
It is a studio with a balcony and a full bath with a bidet of course!
The only thing missing is an oven, but what the heck...with all the food delivery options in town
I don't even miss it. The great thing that I liked right away, is that it has a bookcase partition between the living room area and the bedroom with a computer desk in the middle.
The bathroom is to the right of the kitchen...and the whole other side you dont' see is glass.

1 comment:

  1. Hello this...is...Carlton...the...doorman.

    The things you remember. Nice apartment and what a great excuse to not have to cook, eh? Sounds like the good life. Soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete